Durango, CO – On Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 7:00 p.m., the La Plata County Building Department and Office of Emergency Management will sponsor a presentation and open house at the La Plata County Courthouse, Anasazi Meeting Room, 1060 E. Second Avenue, Durango, Colorado to take public comment on a series of flood plain maps that have been developed in cooperation with the Colorado Water Conservation Board and Anderson Consulting Engineers, Inc. The flood plain maps developed for La Plata County are part of a four-year flood plain map modernization program that will ultimately result in the adoption of new flood plain maps for use with La Plata County’s flood plain management regulations and to assist local property owners, insurance agencies and financial institutions in determining flood hazard zones in La Plata County. The map information provides technical, hydrological data that is used to administer flood plain management regulations and assure compliance with the National Flood Insurance Program.
New flood plain mapping information has been compiled for:
· The La Plata River from Mayday downstream to the New Mexico/Colorado State Line.
· The Animas River from the Southern Ute Reservation Line near Basin Creek downstream to the New Mexico State Line.
· The Florida River from north of US 160 downstream to the confluence with the Animas River near Bondad.
· The Pine River from Vallecito Reservoir downstream to the Southern Ute Reservation Line south of Bayfield.
· Vallecito Creek, Grimes Creek and Middle Creek north of Vallecito Reservoir.
Revised mapping and hydrological data has also been provided for existing flood plain studies for Lightner Creek, Junction Creek, Animas River and Florida River.
Property owners along the listed water courses are encouraged to view the maps and flood information at the open house. Officials from La Plata County and the Colorado Water Conservation Board will be present to answer any technical questions regarding the mapping and supporting technical information.
For those individuals who are unable to attend the open house, all maps and technical data can be viewed at the La Plata County Building Department at 1060 E. Second Avenue, Durango. For additional information, call the La Plata County Building Department at (970) 382-6250."